Right – you’ve made the decision to finally quit smoking with the help of an electronic cigarette. No? Maybe you just want to try your hands at an e-cig to see how you get along? Whatever the reason, help is at hand. The industry may look too complicated to purchase from, with the countless number of e-cigarette brands out there, but we are here to make life a lot easier for you.
When you want to start using an electronic cigarette, you must be aware of a few things:
- You are going to need a minimum of two batteries. This is the part of the e-cig that produces the vapor, creates the flavor with the help of the cartridge, and needs to be recharged. Two batteries will see you through – one battery will be on charge while you are using the second, but three batteries will be better – what happens if one breaks down and you need to send it away for repair…? Make sure that you buy three batteries where possible. The batteries should last around about six months or so, depending on how you use it. Ours will generally last between 4-6 months again, depending on how we use it and the brand that we have bought it from. If you want an e-cigarette with some serious battery life and don’t mind how big or clumpy it looks, check out the Long Cig offered by V2 Cigs.
- You are going to need to start with five cartridges. It doesn’t matter whether you refill yourself, buy new cartridges, or sign up to a delivery program, you will need five to begin with. These will last you about a day each, again depending on your smoking patterns. If you want a cartridge that not only tastes good, but also releases a decent amount of vapor, you are going to want to check out Green Smoke’s e-cig range.
- You will need a USB charger plus mains adapter/car charger. Do you smoke a lot in the car? It might be worth getting a car charger and a USB cig which needs to be plugged in all the time in order to work. This is also a wise idea for those that spend a lot of time in front of their computer. If you travel a lot, a car charger is a must. If you are never far from a computer, the USB charger will be right for you. If you don’t own a car and you don’t really like to class yourself as techno-friendly enough to use a computer, the mains adapter is the perfect choice. It might be worth to have a couple of charging options – some companies, such as Blu Cigs, even offer a handy charging carry case, just as V2 Cigs offers.
- Are you more bothered about appearance or throat hit? SmokeTip offers a very lifelike looking e-cigarette. In many ways it is comparable to the real thing, but you might want to consider something that doesn’t look quite so much like a real cigarette if you are going to be using it in public. People will still jump to the conclusion that you are using a real cigarette even when you are not, so the funky designs offered by Blu Cigs or V2 Cigs isn’t a bad option. Green Smoke also offers a lovely dusky pink color if you don’t want to go all-out colorful!
- For throat hit, Green Smoke rocks. Although V2 Cigs comes a very close second, the best e-cig for throat hit is definitely Green Smoke out of the ones that we have tried so far.
- If it is vapor you are after, the top companies are again, V2 Cigs and Green Smoke. Green Smoke perhaps gives you a little more.
- Are you going to refill your cartridges yourself with e-liquid? V2 Cigs is currently the only website that offers both e-liquids and cartridges with their batteries. This can save on shipping in the long run. Otherwise you are going to need to find a company that sells e-liquid which poses another dilemma – once you’ve bought the e-cig, where do you get your e-liquid from. This is something that we will look at in closer detail later on.
- How important is the warranty to you? Remember that you are expected to replace at least one of your batteries in the first six months – is the warranty worth it? V2 Cigs, for example, offers a “Lifetime Warranty” but only for five replacements AND when you have made an order in the last 90 days. On the other side of things, White Cloud only offers a six month warranty on their e-cigs. You need to figure out which one is the best one for you.
- Is size a factor? Many of the most popular e-cigs are the same shape and size of a cigarette, but there are bigger e-cigs called vape mods that can help you if you need something more powerful. They do come with some drawbacks such as size and more complex configurations. If you need more info about the best vape mods, visit IEC for detailed info and full reviews on vape mods..
There are a lot of things that can sway your opinion on the best electronic cigarette. You will find that the e-cig reviews that you can read (like the ones on this site) will help you in your quest and they are well worth looking at. On top of this, how important is the feel of the e-cig? Some are heavier than others. For example, Blu Cigs e-cigs are thinner than Green Smokes, yet V2 Cigs has the longest battery. Are you that bothered by accessories? Vapor Couture is the best e-cigarette to buy if you are a fan of all things blingy and pretty, but they don’t come cheap!